When it comes to cycling, there are different types of bike frames that you can buy. The two most popular options are the step through vs step over bike frames. Both frames offer a unique experience for the rider. There is no right or wrong when it comes to choosing which frame to purchase; only a matter of preference. Here is some information about the difference between the two frames and which one you should choose.
Step-Through vs Step Over Bike Frames
What is a step-through bike?
Step-through bikes are the middle ground between a step-over styled bike and a low step frame. Because step-through bikes have a more upright riding position and easy mounting, they are specifically useful for riders with mobility issues.
Step-thru design is ideal for casual rides and commuting to work, providing comfort and style with every ride.
- One of the primary advantages of a Step-Through bike is that it is simple to handle. You won't have to push yourself to get on and off this bike, and your ride will be comfortable. These bikes are highly safe and simple to ride, making them ideal for riders of all ages and mobility.
- These bikes make grocery shopping, running errands and other daily activities much more enjoyable! Step-Through bikes are an excellent alternative for these activities if you're searching for a comfortable bike.
- Step-through electric bikes like the Boogie Bike Cruiser are particularly ideal if you have to commute to work in formal clothes that aren't as flexible, such as a men's suit or a women's dress or skirt, since they allow you to get on and off the bike with ease and without breaking a sweat.
- One disadvantage of step-thru bikes is that their frames are usually thicker than regular bike frames. Because step-through bikes lack the top bar that connects the front and rear of the frame, they may be viewed as less robust than a traditional bike. As a result, they are frequently built of more durable materials, which means they are slightly heavier. This guarantees that they are strong and safe to travel on.
- Traditional step-through bikes were considered insufficient for riders who preferred more speed, making them unsuitable for track cyclists. These bikes were not designed for speed, but are great for ease, comfort and stability. However, if you truly want a step-through bike with speed, consider going with electric bikes which come in this style. For example, the Boogie Bike Cruiser has a step-through frame and can reach speeds of up to 20 miles per hour with the motor assist.
If you're traveling through steep terrain, step-through bikes are not the best choice. When riding uphill, the bicycle frame is put under a lot of strain, which might cause the frame to bend slightly. When riding a step-thru bike up a hill, this sensation may be extremely unstable, and in certain circumstances, it may be extremely dangerous. However, that’s not a problem with an ebike like the Boogie Cruiser. Since it has a throttle and pedal assist, you can easily climb hilly terrain with no problems. Additionally, it has extra reinforcement engineered into the frame making it suitable for all the challenges of the road.
- Accessorizing step-through bicycles can be challenging. Step-thru bikes are not built for attachments like water bottle holders or mini-backpacks due to the shape of its frame, which might be a disadvantage for some riders. As these models have grown in popularity, additional accessories are being developed for them. Boogie Bikes offers a water bottle holder that fits perfectly on the handlebar.
What is a Step Over Bike?
The step-over frame (or diamond or triangle frame) is particularly popular, because it's lightweight and durable. The design of this particular frame has changed very little over the years due to its simple and robust design.
Step-over frames are most commonly seen on city and road bikes, mountain bikes, high-end racing bikes, hybrid bikes and they give riders with more pedal power and a more balanced ride.
- One of the most notable advantages of step-over bicycles is their durability. Using a step-over bike, you can be confident that your bike is built with tried-and-true geometric design and will last you for thousands of miles.
- Step-over bikes are designed to be ridden through all sorts of terrains. They’re perfect for the adventurous types who prefer to ride up rough hilly trails or cycle off-road because of their sturdy frame geometry.
- They are extremely light, with a frame that assures speed and handling, resulting in improved performance.
- While the step over frame is intended for all sorts of terrain, it is not suited for extreme riding conditions and is only appropriate for light to medium-weight riders. The exception is heavily built step over terrain bikes, most commonly featuring fat tires.
- Step-over bikes are not commonly reinforced with the same materials as other bicycle designs, such as mountain bikes, and so may not be strong enough to resist the high demands of hardcore riders or heavier riders.
- Step-over bikes are typically intended for 90% street riding and 10% off-road riding. As a result, if you intend to ride your step-over bicycle in a variety of circumstances, you may need to invest in a specific pair of tires. Alternatively, be certain that you are purchasing the appropriate bike for the terrain you intend to travel. There are several alternatives available, ranging from track bikes to mountain bikes. As electric bikes become more popular, they are now being developed for these various riding styles and terrains.
How to Choose What’s Best For You?
When selecting whether to buy a step-through or a step-over bicycle, there is no incorrect answer. While each has distinct features, the type you pick is determined by your riding style and choice. And after you've decided on the appropriate frame for you, we're certain you'll have a great riding experience anyway, since bikes are fun! Aside from being a lot of fun to ride, bikes may also help you clear your mind and get some exercise.
At Boogie Bikes, we love to share our passion for bikes. Our flagship cruiser was designed with every type of rider in mind. The step-through frame makes it easy for anyone to step on and off the bike and the seat can be adjusted to fit all kinds of riders. Some view the step-through frame as a female bike but it isn’t like that. What’s great with a step-through frame is that it can be used by a rider of any age, gender, and skill level. If you want to know the difference between an electric bike and a regular bike, then click this link to learn more.
If you have any questions about our bike, call 833-266-4432 and we’ll assist you in making a decision.